Table of Contents
Key anthropology organizations
(for anthropologists working in government, business, and non-profit settings)
- The National Association for the Practice of Anthropology (NAPA): https://www.practicinganthropology.org
- American Anthropological Association (AAA): https://www.americananthro.org
- Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA): https://www.appliedanthro.org
- The High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology (HPSfAA): https://www.hpsfaa.org
- The Washington Association of Professional Anthropologists (WAPA): https://wapadc.org
- Business Anthropology Community: https://www.businessanthro.com
- Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference (EPIC): https://www.epicpeople.org
- Ethnobreakfast: A Bay Area Practitioners Group for Ethnographers in Industry: https://sites.google.com/view/ethnobreakfast/home
- EthnoBorrel: Networking for Professional Ethnographers: https://ethnoborrel.eu
- Canadian Anthropology Society/Société Canadienne d’Anthropologie (CASCA): https://www.cas-sca.ca
- European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA), including EASA Applied Anthropology Network: https://www.easaonline.org
- Why the World Needs Anthropologists (annual event): https://www.applied-anthropology.com
- Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK (ASA), including the ASA Network of Applied Anthropologists: https://www.theasa.org
- Society for American Archaeology (SAA) https://www.saa.org/
- Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA) https://rpanet.org/
Professional statements of ethics in anthropology
- NAPA: https://www.practicinganthropology.org/practice/ethics/
- AAA: http://ethics.americananthro.org/category/statement/
- SfAA: https://www.appliedanthro.org/about (click “ethics”)
- SAA: https://www/saa.org/career-practice/ethics-in-professional-archeology
- RPA: https://rpanet.org/code-and-standards
Books and materials on practice
- A Handbook of Practicing Anthropology, Riall W. Nolan (ed.), 2013.
- Anthropologists Wanted: Why Organizations Need Anthropology, Laurens Bakker, Masja Cohen, and Walter Faaij, 2021.
- Anthro-Vision: A New Way to See in Business and Life, Gillian Tett, 2021.
- Cultural Resource Management: A Collaborative Primer for Archeologists, Thomas King (editor), 2021.
- Consultation and Cultural Heritage: Let Us Reason Together, Claudia Nisseley and Thomas King, 2014.
- Designing an Anthropology Career: Professional Development Exercises (2nd edition), Sherylyn H. Briller and Amy Goldmacher, 2020.
- Doing Anthropology in Consumer Research, Patricia L. Sunderland and Rita M. Denny, 2007.
- Ethnography in Action, Jean J. Schensul and Margaret D. LeCompte, 2016.
- Ethnographic Thinking: From Method to Mindset, Jay Hasbrouck, 2018.
- Handbook of Anthropology in Business, Rita Denny and Patricia Sunderland (eds.), 2016.
- Using Anthropology in the World: A Guide to Becoming an Anthropologist Practitioner, Riall W. Nolan, 2017.
- Why the World Needs Anthropologists, Dan Podjed, Meta Gorup, Pavel Borecky & Carla Guerrón-Montero (eds.), 2021.
- Profiles in Anthropological Praxis: An International Casebook, Terry Redding and Charlie Cheney (eds.), forthcoming.
- The Cultural Dimension of Global Business, Gary P. Ferraro and Elizabeth K. Briody, 2017 (8th ed.).
- Women, Consumption and Paradox, Timothy DeWaal Malefyt and Maryann McCabe (eds.), 2020.
- Applying Anthropology Outside the Academy, AAA Society for Medical Anthropology and the Society for Psychological Anthropology, May 21, 2021
- Grant Writing for Dissertations & Beyond, AAA Society for Medical Anthropology and the Society for Psychological Anthropology, April 29, 2021
- Anthropologists Building Careers in GIS (Geographic Information Systems), Gideon Singer and Kyle Jones, April 22, 2021
- Using Archaeological and Anthropological Skill Sets as Accessible Designers, Rachael Penfil and Cheryl Fogle-Hatch, April 15, 2021
- Careers in the Public Sector, Ariela Zycherman and Steven Thomson, April 8, 2021
- Contemplating a Career in Tech? Kevin Newton and Astrid Countee, April 1, 2021
- Doing Cultural Resource Management (CRM) Your Way, Dennis Griffin and Misty Jackson, March 25, 2021
- Anthropologists Working in Hospital Settings, Nadine Bendycki and Joshua Liggett, March 18, 2021
- User Experience (UX) Jobs from the Inside Out, Rachel Fleming and Lisanne Norman, March 11, 2011
- Career Pathways, Palmyra Jackson and Katie Patschke, March 4, 2021
- Deep Hanging Out…Digitally: Social Media Strategies for the Contemporary Job Market, Ingrid Ramón Parra and Adam Gamwell, September 24, 2020
- Demystifying the Fear around Job Searches, Beth Holland, Alison Davis, and Jeanine Baker, September 17, 2020
- The Art of Persuasion: Articulating Anthropology’s Value to a Prospective Employer, Robert Morais, David Fetterman, Shirley Fiske, Alexandra Jones, and Ken Erickson, September 10, 2020
- Facing the Interview Squad: Strategies that Impress, Jo Aiken, Gigi Taylor, and Cathleen Crain, July 30, 2020
- This is Not Your Parents’ Resume: New Ways to Tell Your Story, Dawn Lehman, Jo Aiken, Molly Rempe, Adam Gamwell, Ingrid Ramón Parra, July 23, 2020
- 5 Secrets for Building Networks that Lead to Jobs, Elizabeth K. Briody, Ann Reed, Elizabeth Wirtz, Beth Holland, and Keith Kellersohn, July 16, 2020
- Get Hired! Showcase Your Unique Value: Using the Elevator Pitch, Sabrina Nichelle Scott, Sherylyn H. Briller, and Amy Goldmacher, July 9, 2020
- COVID-19: Ongoing Global Responses and Social Impact, Jorge Benavides-Rawson, Isaac Nyamongo, and Suman Chakrabarty, April 16, 2020
- More than Models: The Media and the Economy at a Time of COVID-19, Gillian Tett, April 9, 2019
- COVID-19: Responses from Around the Globe, Davide Barbieri, Saša Missoni, and Gideon Lasco, April 2, 2020
- Providing Expert Testimony: Promises and Pitfalls of Engaging in Immigration Proceedings, Aidin Castillo, Beatriz Reyes Foster, Lauren Heidbrink, and Leila Rodriguez, October 18, 2019
- Measles Outbreak: Applying Anthropological Understanding to Vaccine Hesitancy, Kristin Hedges, Leslie Rodriguez, Elisa Sobo, Karen-Sue Taussig, and Shelley Lees, May 30, 2019
- Charting Your Course: Developing a Personal Strategic Plan, Melissa Vogel, October 3, 2018
- Protecting Immigrant and Undocumented Students, Gregory Chen, March 15, 2017
- Understanding and Responding to the Zika Crisis from an Anthropological Perspective, Kristin Hedges, Craig Janes, Arachu Castro, and Juliet Bedford, April 29, 2016
- Practicing Anthropology in User Experience, Design and Business, Amy Santee, January 6, 2016.
- Medical Anthropology in the 21st Century, Lenore Manderson, September 2, 2015
- Applied Anthropology in the National Parks, Joe Watkins, Jennifer Talken-Spaulding, and Tom Fish, March 18, 2015
- Partnering Anthropology and Evaluation: What Do We Gain? Mary Odell Butler, March 4, 2015
- Sometimes Practice Makes Perfect: Cultural Changes in the Training of Anthropologists, Elizabeth K. Briody, February 18, 2015.
- Doing “Consumer” Anthropology: Warnings and Advice, Ken C. Erickson, September 17, 2014
- A Career in Practice: First Steps for Anthropologists, Riall Nolan, January 22, 2014
Other publications selected mainly from journal and encyclopedia articles
Briller, Sherylyn H., and Erika Carrillo. 2020. “Applying Anthropological Insight in an Aging World.” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.2, Published online 27 October.
Briody, Elizabeth K. 2018. “The Woes of Implementation Practice: Getting Away from the ‘Program of the Month’.” Journal of Business Anthropology, 7(1): 98-132, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5494/6061.
Briody, Elizaabeth K. 2016. “Guiding change as President of the Board of Trustees: Learning from the Liminal Drama of It All.” Journal of Business Anthropology, Special Issue 2, 105-137, Spring, http://www.cbs.dk/jba.
Briody, Elizabeth K., Fredy R. Rodríguez-Mejía, Julia King, and Edward J. Berger. 2021. “Understanding Culture through Pictures and a Thousand Words.” Annals of Anthropological Practice, 1-17, https://doi.org/10.1111/napa.12157.
Bye, Rolf J. and Stein E Johansen. 2020. “Syllogisms in Cognition and Facilitation of Organizational Innovation.” Journal of Business Anthropology 9(1): 111-138, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5964/6619.
Clarke, Mari H. 2021. “Energy Anthropology.” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, forthcoming.
Clarke, Mari H. 2020. Transportation and Change through an Anthropological Lens, Journal of Business Anthropology 9(2): 192-224, Fall, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/6122/6730.
Desjeux, Dominique. 2021. Scales of Observation, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, forthcoming.
Duke, Michael. 2020. Community-Based Participatory Research, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology. https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.225, Published online: 19 November.
English-Lueck, J.A. and Miriam Avery. 2020. Futures Research in Anticipatory Anthropology, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology. https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.14, Published online: 30 April.
Fosher, Kerry B. 2018. Field Report: Implementing a Social Science Capability in a Marine Corps Organization, Journal of Business Anthropology 7(1): 133-152, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5495/6062.
Foster, Brian L. 2021. The Challenges of Planning for High-Impact Research, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology. https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.323, Published online: 26 April.
Friberg, Torbjörn. 2017. The (Re)making of Flow: Mediator Companies and Knowledge Production, Journal of Business Anthropology 6(2): 199-217, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5412/5973.
Garth, Hanna and Michael G. Powell. 2017. Rebranding a South Los Angeles Corner Store: The Unique Logic of Retail Brands, Journal of Business Anthropology 6(2):175-198, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5411/5972.
Gluesing, Julia C. 2020. Global Teams, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology
https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.11. Published online: 30 April.
Gluesing, Julia C. 2018. Using Boundary Objects to Facilitate Culture Change and Integrate a Global Top Management Team, Journal of Business Anthropology 7(1): 32-50, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5491/6058.
Gregory, Siobhan. 2018. Design Anthropology as Social Design Process, Journal of Business Anthropology 7(2): 210-234, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5604/6248.
Hale, Tamara. 2018. People are Not Users, Journal of Business Anthropology 7(2): 163-183, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5601/6245.
Hanson, Natalie. 2018. An Uneasy Truce: Navigating Interdisciplinary Collaboration in the Software Industry, Journal of Business Anthropology 7(2): 184-209, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5602/6246.
Hildebrandt, Dani, and Hanny Hindi. 2020. Extreme Users: How Avatars of the Future Can Shape Innovation, Journal of Business Anthropology 9(2): 407-419, Fall, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/6132/6746.
Ilkjaer, Helene. 2019. The Future Airport—Experiments and Innovative Technologies, Journal of Business Anthropology 8(1): 86-107, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5720/6368.
Jordan, Ann T. 2019. Business Anthropology, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.4, Published online: 30 October.
Karsten, Mette Marie Vad. 2019. Short-term Anthropology: Thoughts from a Fieldwork among Plumbers, Digitalisation, Cultural Assumptions and Marketing Strategies, Journal of Business Anthropology 8(1): 108-125, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5718/6366.
Krause-Jensen, Jakob. 2017. Fieldwork in a Hall of Mirrors: An Anthropology of Anthropology in Business, Journal of Business Anthropology 6(1): 102-120, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5319/5882.
Lampe, Frederick (Fritz) P. 2021. Applying Religion, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology. https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.290, Published online: 25 March.
Lawrence-Zúñiga, Denise. 2021. Application of Space and Place Theories to Design. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.293, Published online: 23 February.
Lyon, Sarah. 2021. Anthropological Perspectives on Fair Trade, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, forthcoming.
Malefyt, Timothy de Waal. 2017. Anthropologist in Advertising Agencies: Mediating Structures of Power and Knowledge Capital by Managing Relationships, Journal of Business Anthropology 6(1): 89-101, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5318/5881.
McCabe, Maryann, and Rita Denny. 2019. Anthropology in Consumer Research, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.9, Published online: 30 October.
McCabe, Maryann, Timothy de Waal Malefyt, and Antonella Fabri. 2017. Women, Makeup, and Authenticity: Negotiating Embodiment and Discourses of Beauty, Journal of Consumer Culture 20(4): 656-677, https://doi.org/10.1177/1469540517736558.
Mihara, Ryotaro. 2020. A Coming of Age in the Anthropological Study of Anime? Introductory Thoughts Envisioning the Business Anthropology of Japanese Animation, Journal of Business Anthropology 9(1): 88-110, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5963/6618.
Montgomery, Eric, and Elizabeth F. Drexler. 2021. Anthropology of Peace and Justice Studies, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, forthcoming.
Murphy, Fiona. 2017. Austerity Ireland, the New Thrift Culture and Sustainable Consumption, Journal of Business Anthropology 6(2): 158-174, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5410/5971.
Nagle, Robin. 2017. The job is in the Field: Notes from Municipal Anthropology, Journal of Business Anthropology 6(1): 41-57, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5316/5879
Newberry, Derek, and Eric Gruebel. 2020. Leadership and Organizational Development, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.15, Published online: 17 December.
Nolan, Riall W. 2020. Development Anthropology, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.1, Published online: 29 May.
Olsen, Barbara. 2016. Liminality in Advertising from the Mad Men Era, Journal of Business Anthropology, Special Issue 2: 77-104, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/4961/5386.
Onomake, U. Ejiro O. 2021. Social Media Relationships, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, forthcoming.
Onomake-McShane, U. Ejiro O. 2019. Emerging Ties-Nigerian Entrepreneurs and Chinese Business Associates, Journal of Business Anthropology 8(2): 167-184, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5847/6525.
Pan, Yuling, and Stephen Lubkemann. 2013. Observing Census Enumeration of Non-English-Speaking Households in the 2010 Census: Evaluation Report. January 17, 2013, SSM2013-02. https://www.census.gov/library/working-papers/2013/adrm/ssm2013-02.html.
Preister, Kevin. 2018. The Use of Anthropology as a Management Framework in a Corporate Context: Review and Prospects, Journal of Business Anthropology 7(1): 75-97, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5493/6060.
Rencher, Marlo. 2019. Shifting Cases: Advancing a New Artifact for Entrepreneurial Education, Journal of Business Anthropology 8(2): 211-227, Autumn, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5849/6534.
Rodríguez-Mejía, Fredy. 2021. Educational Anthropology and Engaged Approaches to Teaching and Learning, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.203, Published online: 23 February.
Rodríguez-Mejía, Fredy, Elizabeth K. Briody, Ruth Rothstein, and Edward J. Berger. 2020.
Implementing Grassroots Initiatives of Change: The Combined Perspectives from Psychology and Anthropology in an Engineering School, International Journal of Engineering Education 36(3): 1097-1116.
Salverda, Tijo. 2019. Conflicting Interpretations: On Analyzing an Agribusiness’ Concerns About Critique, Journal of Business Anthropology 8(1): 4-24, Spring, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/5711/6359.
Schwede, Laurie. L. Forthcoming 2022. Applying Anthropological Perspectives and Methods in Evaluations of Persistent Undercounts of Race and Hispanic Minorities and Young Children in U.S. Censuses. In Profiles of Anthropological Praxis: An International Casebook, Terry Redding and Charles Cheney, eds. New York: Berghahn Books.
Schwede, Laurel, Rae Lesser Blumberg, and Anna Y. Chan. 2006. Complex Ethnic Households in America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
Schwede, Laurie, and Rodney Terry. 2013. Comparative Ethnographic Studies of Enumeration Methods and Coverage across Race and Ethnic Groups. 2010 Census Program for Evaluations and Experiments Evaluation. 2010 Census Planning Memoranda Series, No. 255. March 29, 2013. Available at: https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial-census/decade/2010/program-management/cpex/2010-cpex-255.html
Squires, Susan. 2021. Anthropology, Technology, and Innovation, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.17, Published online: 26 April.
Stanković, Snežana, Jonas Ecke, and Elizabeth J. Wirtz. 2021. Forced Migration, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology, forthcoming.
Stutts, Sarah, Kenneth Saintonage, Nicholas Jordan, and Christina Wasson. 2020. Contested Spaces, Shared Concerns: Interactions from the Perspective of Three User Groups, Journal of Business Anthropology 9(2): 155-191, Fall, https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/jba/article/view/6118/6728.
Tashima, Niel, Cathleen E. Crain, Elizabeth K. Briody, Peter Van Arsdale, Kenneth Erickson, Dawn Lehman, Tracy Meerwarth Pester, and Keith Kellersohn. 2019. Anthropological Argonauts, Anthropology News 60(4): 6-7, July/August.
U.S. Census Bureau. 2018. Investigating the 2010 Undercount of Young Children – Analysis of Complex Households, December 4, 2018. Available at: https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2020/program-management/final-analysis-reports/2020-report-2010-undercount-children-complex_households.pdf. Also available at: The 2010 Undercount of Young Children – Analysis of Complex Households (census.gov)
Van Arsdale, Peter W., Leslie P. Woodward, and Velma Šarić. 2015. The Little Apple: Ethnic Conflict, Educational Challenges, and Socioeconomic Struggles in a Bosnian Town – A Longitudinal Study, The Applied Anthropologist 35(2): 27-34.
Wasson, Christina. 2021. Participatory Design of Language and Culture Archives, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology.
https://doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190854584.013.234, Published online: 25 March.