To set the stage for best practices, one should first be familiar with NAPA’s ethical guidelines for practice, which were subject to deep review and revision, and then approval of NAPA members in 2018. There are also ethical standards put forth by the AAA, SfAA, the Society for American Archaeology, and the Register of Professional Archaeologists.
Professional statements of ethics in anthropology
- NAPA: https://www.practicinganthropology.org/practice/ethics/
- AAA: http://ethics.americananthro.org/category/statement/
- SfAA: https://www.appliedanthro.org/about (click “ethics”)
- SAA: https://www.saa.org/career-practice/ethics-in-professional-archaeology
- RPA: https://rpanet.org/code-and-standards
- See also the AAA Ethics Forum